Irish Flat Caps for Everyone!
There was an article published a while back in the New York Times written by Jacob Gallagher that referred to the flat caps as a “notably tricky hat.” He also said that not everyone can pull them off. Now I know we may be a wee bit biased seeing that a good part of our Biddy Murphy business comes from selling authentic Irish flat caps, we still want to offer another opinion on the topic. You can’t say a cap falls flat by looking at one style. Just as every man looks better wearing pants, we believe that every man looks dapper with an Irish cap. They just need to find the right fit and select a well-made cap.
This idea of helping everyone find the ideal Irish cap started to energize the nimble team at our small, family-owned business. How do we help others find the right fit? And with Father’s Day approaching soon, we knew we had to share our ideas in time for our customers to take this into consideration as they are selecting their perfect Father’s Day gift. Here are some of our top tips:
- First and foremost, pay attention to the fit. Measure your head at the widest point to get the exact measurements. You want to pick a cap that fits snugly. Trust us, it will feel weird if it fits too loosely. You’ll find a measurement chart graphic on each of our cap listings on the Biddy Murphy website. Because we have three different maker-partners in Ireland that craft our caps, you’ll want to pay attention to their individual sizes.
- Back to the pants reference. Every man looks better wearing pants, but not every man looks good wearing “skinny jeans.” You want to choose the right style for you. Just like trousers, Irish caps can be broken into two categories: Slim Fit style and Fuller Fit style. Like slim fit pants, the slim fit caps are more form fitting and hug the contours of your head. If you are going for a sleek look, this style will suit you well. Like baggy pants, our fuller fit caps are a bit roomier and have a little “give” in the style.
- Consider the make and material. The quality of the caps we’ve seen out there varies drastically from one maker to another. We only carry authentic Irish caps made by one of our three maker-partners: Hatman of Ireland, John Hanly and Mucros Weavers. When you purchase a cap that has been finely crafted, the chances of it looking good and lasting for years increases dramatically. You won’t find any cheap China imitations at Biddy Murphy. Our caps are made with the finest Irish wool or linen, depending upon the cap you select.
- If you are looking for some additional tips on how to wear a flat cap, check out our “How to wear a flat cap” infographic.
- And if we still can’t convince you of the fact that Irish flat caps are for everyone, check out our Irish wool baseball cap. It will be a step-up from that old trucker style cap you might have laying around the house.
We hope you learned a 'ting or two about Irish flat caps and that you’ll consider them for your next gifting occasion, like Father's Day on June 20th or you’ll purchase one for yourself. If you ever have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact our customer service. We’re here to share the joy of Ireland and help you have the best shopping experience possible.
Slán go fóill - Bye for now